Saturday, April 13, 2013

Danny's Proposed Games To Get The Club Started



I want to play Little Inferno because one of its developers created World of Goo.  Also, Little Inferno was nominated for Technical Excellence, the Nuovo Award (an award that honors unconventional game development), and the Seumas McNally Grand Prize at this year's Independent Games Festival.


I have a bad habit of reading about video games before I make any attempt to play them.  This game was released with some high praise but mostly middling reviews.  I consistently heard that Papa & Yo's gameplay mechanics were not particularly fun or satisfying in the best cases, and were broken in the worst cases.  However, many people compliment the game for its autobiographical storytelling and the daring ways it presents the complex emotional relationship the lead game designer had with his alcoholic father growing up.  People often complain about poor/safe storytelling in games, and the unconventional storytelling found in Papa & Yo seems like something unique worth checking out.


I haven't put a significant amount of time into an RPG since I played through Final Fantasy X in 2003.  I think I like RPGs, but I don't play them consistently enough to know for sure.  I want to test those waters with Cthulhu Saves the World.  Plus, I love its retro aesthetic.


Resonance was developed by Vince XII right here in Omaha, NE.  I want to support local developers, and buying, playing, and discussing their games seems like the optimum way to do that.  Any fans of the old Lucas Arts or Sierra adventure games will want to check out Resonance.


I know the combat in Fallout plays like a turn-based strategy game.  I'm imagining Fallout is like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced if the bright and jaunty world of Ivalice was replaced with a bleak, post-apocalyptic wasteland.  I think that sounds awesome.  Fallout is an often discussed game by people enthusiastic about game design, and I'd like to be able to join some of those conversations by experiencing Fallout for myself.

Frozen Synapse

Frozen Synapse looks like an awesome strategy game.  The gameplay is simultaneous turn-based.  If that piques your interest, go watch a gameplay video because I'm not sure how to succinctly explain it.  I have to admit that I already have this game sitting in my Steam library.  I haven't played it yet, but I fully intend to.  The thinking man's choose-your-own pace nature of this game seems right up my alley.  As a nice bonus, when this game is purchased from Steam, it comes with two copies.  This purchase model make Frozen Synapse perfect for game clubs.

Cave Story

It's been a long time since I've played Super Metroid.  I think Cave Story can fill my brain with wonder like Super Metroid did when I was 6.  That's high praise.


Like Papa & Yo, I haven't played The Cave yet because of my bad habit of reading about games before I make any attempt to play them.  While I was very excited about The Cave before it was released, it received a lot of middling reviews upon release that have caused me to postpone making the purchase.  I know I will eventually play The Cave because I love all the previous games led by Ron Gilbert or developed at Double Fine.  Making The Cave a game club game will push me to play it sooner than I probably would if I were to tackle it alone.


Whenever people talk about Sleeping Dogs, they always mention how surprisingly good the game is.  I like when games defy expectations, and think these kinds of games should be supported.

Dark Souls

This game looks hard as fuck, and is equally as intimidating.  If I start playing Dark Souls, I know I'll struggle with the difficulty of gameplay every step of the way.  Misery loves company, and I want to play this one with people I know struggling beside me.


Psychonauts has grown a substantial cult following in the years since its release.  I've always enjoyed 3D platforming games, such as Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, and Rocket: Robot on Wheels.  I've also been watching and loving 2 Player Productions' documentary series on the making of the Kickstarted Double Fine Adventure game (now known as Broken Age), and I'm in the mood to absorb all the Double Fine/Tim Schafer content I can.

----------

That's my list.  Right now, these are the non-platform exclusive games I want to play more than anything else.  What do you think?  Do you see anything listed here that you're dying to play as well?  Do have reasons for not wanting to play any of these games this summer?  If you're a member of the Omaha Game Club, leave your comments below to help me decide which of these games should be included on the roster!

5 comments:

  1. Dark Souls is fantastically hard. I've played about two hours of it via Steam with a gamepad (which I HIGHLY recommend you get, if you plan on being able to play it at all well) and I I've died more times than I can count - but its fun. The rooms are dark, enemies are frustrating, and the controls on the PC are a touch insensitive. But I've had more fun yelling at my laptop playing Dark Souls than I've had playing any other game in a long time. Also, I'm thinking that Fallout would be a great game to play too - never touched it, but I love the classic, almost table-top rpg elements. Thats my two cents :)Happy gaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cthulhu looks interesting as I love Crafting Love, but I don't have a Xbox to play it.

    I have Dark Souls, but I never got around to play it. It seems like a very time consuming game, though.

    Everyone on Earth should have played Fallout 1 by now, and if they haven't, they should be ashamed. I'd be up to playing it again. New comers may have to look at a walk-through, though.

    Psychonauts needs a gamepad if you want to play it on PC. It's almost unplayable if you don't.

    Papa and YoYo and Little Inferno look like fun little games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cthulhu is on Steam! All you need is a Windows machine to play it.

    It seems like everyone wants to give Dark Souls a go. I agree that we need to put more than a few hours into it to get a full experience though. Maybe Dark Souls shouldn't have a week dedicated to it, and instead be an ongoing thing?

    We'll figure it out, but it's safe to say we will be starting the Omaha Game Club with a lower barrier game. Little Inferno is looking pretty inviting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only one I'm a little trepidatious about is Fallout, mainly because I've thought about buying it on Steam before but was scared away by the seemingly hit-or-miss instructions on how to get it to run on Windows 7.

    ReplyDelete